if i was harry, i would have stuck a letter down the front of my pants and ran out on the front lawn bc
- the dursleys aren’t gonna chase me and cause a scene, it’d upset their pristine reputation
- if they DID chase me out, they’d have to put their hand down my pants to get to the letter and i’d just start screaming STRANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER and fuck up their repuation for real
you would kill voldemort in first year at that rate
Rebloggable by request
Reasons Why I Don’t Think James Potter Bullied Snape
- “James and Snape hated each other from the moment they set eyes on each other, it was just one of those things, you can understand that, can’t you?” -Sirius Black, OOTP, p. 590
- “Well, Snape was a special case. He never lost an opportunity to curse James so you couldn’t really expect James to take that lying down, could you?” -Remus Lupin, OOTP, p. 591
- “…it was also enchanted to forever repel (as insultingly as possible) the curiosity of their nemesis, Severus Snape.” -JK Rowling, Pottermore, Marauder’s Map. The term nemesis, as defined by Dictionary.com means “an opponent or rival whom a person cannot best or overcome.” Implying they were on equal footing. As in anything Snape received, he paid back in full.
- In Snape’s Worst Memory, James attacks Snape with a common jinx (that Snape himself invented) and Snape retaliates with a dark curse. What makes anyone think that Snape was incapable of using one to incapacitate James or Sirius?
- Snape had a group of friends who grew up to be Death Eaters and who harassed Muggle-borns in school. I’m sure they attempted retaliation on the Marauders. It doesn’t make any sense that they would choose not to fight against those who they most likely hate most, meaning that Snape would have just as much ability to double-team James.
- It takes a certain amount of compassion to dedicate your life to saving innocent people, and James was a member of the Order of the Phoenix. If he really harassed and tortured Snape to make him feel like shit, as is implied by many, I doubt he would have enough compassion to join an organization based on protecting everyone (read: you would have to save people you hated sometimes).
- Literally everyone who talks about James other than Snape loves him. Dumbledore, Hagrid, Sirius, Remus, everyone. Surely if he was that terrible to someone, at least one other person would hate him, wouldn’t they?
Great points that I’ve always thought were overlooked by many people. More points to consider:
- James grew up in a privileged, blessed household, yet he empathizes with nearly everyone, esp minorities. Peter was a talentless underdog, an outcast, a no one. Sirius coming from a repressing, abusive household. Lily as a muggle-born, and muggle-borns in general. Don’t even get me started on Remus and his lycanthropy issue, that is downright stunning how James handled that.
- Snape invented spells designed to hurt other people. James suspended him in the air, Snape attempted to slice his head open. One of them was intending to humiliate, the other was intending to maim or kill.
- “Well, they [James and Snape] did rather detest each other. Not unlike yourself and Mr. Malfoy. And then, your father did something Snape could never forgive.” “What?” “He saved his life.” (Dumbledore, SS/SP). This is an important parallel between James and Harry; in the end they both saved Snape’s and Draco’s lives respectively, despite their animosities towards another. The differing factor between these pair of rivals was that the Potter boys had enough capacity for compassion that they succeeded in saving the lives of their enemies.
- Sirius says in GoF that during Hogwarts, Snape was in a gang full of future Death Eaters, some of who were mentioned: Rosier and Wilkes, the Lestranges, Avery and Mulciber (GoF, Padfoot Returns). That’s a large gang, far bigger than the four Marauders, especially when you consider that James and Sirius were the ringleaders and Remus and Peter didn’t participate in most of their activities.
- Dumbledore, Hagrid, McGonagall, Sirius, Remus, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Mad Eye Moody, Emmeline Vance, Elphias Doge, Dedalus Diggle, and Hestia Jones spoke highly of James (hell even Peter knew James had compassion enough not to kill him).
- When Hagrid gives Harry the photo album of his parents in First Year, he says that he owled all of Lily and James’ old school friends for photos of them. All of those people loved Lily and James, and kept photos of them long after school, and after their deaths.
At the end of the day, James and Snape both treated each other like shit, but they had their reasons (despite how petty those reasons were, to them it was of utmost importance, we’re not living in their shoes and experiencing the same level of animosity), and it’s unfair to say that Snape was simply an innocent victim when we canonly know that he wasn’t. You can even say that James bullied a bully. Snape was a racist bigot who felt that a minority were subhuman and not on the same standard as he was. He joined a terrorist organization whose purpose was to torture, incapacitate and kill Muggle-borns and Muggles. His greatest virtue was his ability to love a single person in his life, however his compassion ends there.
People are all too willing to judge James based on SWM alone, when in fact JKR had been building up the goodness of his character in all seven books. James was capable of showing kindness to everyone but Snape; begrudging him for that is unfair because the feeling was mutual. At least James had the decency to step in and save Snape’s life at one point; Snape wasn’t capable of doing that for him even years later.
Omfg I was sitting in a room with a bunch of my aunts, uncles and cousins and my grandma had this weird smile on her face so I asked her what was up and she just looked at me and said “everyone in this house is alive thanks to my vagina”
do you ever just miss the ninth doctor and the tenth doctor and donna and rose and martha and jack and mickey and you just
- Fluffy chicken
- Harlem Shake
- American man [weird event]
- Using Google searches to replace lines of songs
- Bee Movie
- The colour of the sky
- Okay Cool
- Tumblr was down for 3 hours
- ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
•Bitch I might be
•Do he got a booty? He doooooooo
Fuck off Olivia
why is blood so hard to wash off of your hands?
I JUST REALIZED HOW BAD THIS SOUNDS FOR THE RECORD I HAD A NOSE BLEED IM NOT A SERIAL KILLER
hydrogen peroxide dissolves blood. just fyi
do you think if you gave someone a huge shot of hydrogen peroxide straight into their bloodstream it would kill them?
THIS GODDAMN WEBSITE IS JUST ALL MADE UP OF MURDERERS
professor oak do you know anything about pokemon at all